Dig deeper into the decades of designs behind Enrich

Each new generation has brought fresh eyes, polished skills and a unique approach. Those skills, traditions and values have been carefully preserved and passed on, and infused into the work we are proud to deliver today. 

Dig deeper into the decades of designs behind Enrich

Each new generation has brought fresh eyes, polished skills and a unique approach. Those skills, traditions and values have been carefully preserved and passed on, and infused into the work we are proud to deliver today. 

During this period, Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi continued to reinforce strong relationships with a core client group, revisiting sites for major extensions and renovations, new site master plans and producing contemporary architecture featuring sustainable building practices, expression and technology.

In 2015 Bradley Briggs retired, and Tarah Jameson and Todd Young joined Fred Jacuzzi as directors of the practice. Following is a selection of projects from the period.

Educational

St Ita's Dutton Park - Multiple Projects

2005 – 2018 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi
  • GLA Block 2003 & 2005
  • Library, GLA (Prep) Block and PE Covered
  • Area/Canteen/Amenities – 2008-2010
  • Administration & MP GLA Block 2011
  • GLA refurbishment 2017

Several new building and refurbishment projects, both BER and BGA funded, in addition to the overall Campus Master Plan have been completed at St Ita’s Primary School including multi-level classrooms fronting Gladstone Road; new Prep classroom building and external play space; new Library, General Learning and Multi-Purpose Learning Areas and covered PE Area; new GLAs and Administration building and the most recent refurbishment of 1970s classrooms to reflect current flexible learning practices.

The Master Plan of the campus needed to consider pedestrian/vehicle conflict; improved children/staff circulation through the school; analysis of the usability of existing spaces in a very restricted site; stability of the existing embankment which was being eroded by stormwater discharge and the usability of the aging existing structures and services and allow continued uninterrupted operation of the school and safe access to Church; designed by Hargraves Mooney Kenny 1974.  View Project

Image: Scott Burrows Photographer

HolySpiritSeminaryEntry

Holy Spirit Seminary Banyo

2013 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi was selected by the Seminary for the Master Planning and Concept Design of the expansion of the existing Administration, Learning and Community facility. 

The stage 2 design included Administration and Learning areas extension, a multi-purpose and flexible conference / function centre, catering facilities and support areas as well as additional car parking spaces. The new buildings were carefully designed to integrate with the existing facility and levels. View Project

ozcare-regional-office-robina_18

Ozcare Regional Offices, Northlakes, Ipswich, Robina and Chermside

2008 – 2013 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

Ozcare engaged the practice to design and document a number of regional offices to support the Ozcare staff and carers who provide service to the community.

The buildings are designed to accommodate permanent staff and flexible collaborative work areas, hot-desking arrangements and multi-functional meeting spaces for the community carers. View Project

StJoachimspic

St Joachim's Holland Park - Multiple Projects

2009 – 2018 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi
  • GLAs (Prep) and OSHC facility – 2009
  • Administration/ GLA Block & Library – 2016

The current school facility is in the same precinct as the original church-school by Cullen and Egan that opened in November 1936.

The Administration Building project entailed new Administration building accessible from Yuletide Street (as per the former building) with three MP GLA’s on lower level forming the “Arts” Centre. Use of multi stacking doors enable some spaces to open up to Courts and Terraces allowing greater flexibility of spaces for learning activities. Existing entry to the school was enhanced. Materials/forms of the new block were selected on the basis of consistency with previous recent projects on the site by other Architects.

Education

St Clare's Primary School

2016 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi were selected for the new Catholic Primary School in Yarrabilba. Stage 1 and 2 have been completed and stage 3 is due for construction 2021. The essence of the planning of St Clare’s is the centre “community” gathering / Sacred Space representing the campus heart around which are located the smaller Learning Clusters.

The flexible nature of the learning clusters supports the personalised, active, and interactive learning program expected of BCE which is enabled through learning environments that enhance teachers’ pedagogical capacity. View Project

Image: Scott Burrows Photographer

OzcareClontarfPic

Ozcare Aged Care Facility, Clontarf

2017 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

The 3-storey extension is the first stage in an overall facility upgrade and has been designed so that the majority of private resident bedrooms as well as communal areas take advantage of views to the adjacent park and wildlife zone.

Part of the existing single storey facility was demolished to make way for the new extension; 7 resident rooms with shared bathrooms have been replaced with 36 beds with ensuites.

The extension includes new dining and lounge areas, nurse stations and service areas to each level which give the feeling of smaller “family” sized groups. The new lift provides access to existing staff facilities, previously only accessed by stairs, and a direct bridge link to the staff training facility. The builders are to be commended on the difficult construction of the first stage which adjoins the existing single storey main entry and resident building which was required to remain operational.

The new building has been designed so that it can be extended in future stages. The modern colour palette has been selected to be sympathetic to the existing facility and also to the adjacent park. Whilst the internal colour and furniture selections provide a homelike ambiance.

Stage 1 also included an extension to day respite facility providing a large space for community activity as well as an internal courtyard, bbq and games area and putting green.

Spiritual

Our Lady of Lourdes

2017 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

Our company is privileged to have provided Architectural Services for Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Sunnybank on three separate occasions. The original timber Church, designed by Cullen and Egan in 1938 was replaced by a brick Church designed by Frank L Cullen & Partners in 1963. Our company was honoured to have been selected once again by the Church as the Architects for the major renovation which was completed in 2017

The new Church features simple and durable materials, a restrained colour palette and elements of the 1963 brick Church Building; exposed structure, sandstone sanctuary wall, refurbished sandstone baptismal font, restored stained glass windows and original timber pews. The completed project features exposed masonry walls, glass, stone tile flooring and a simple, elegant use of timber. The interior is classic and noble, simplistic but not understated. View Project

Image: Scott Burrows Photographer

ReflectionsOzcare_2Pic

Reflections on the Bay by Ozcare

2019 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

The practice has completed the design and documentation for the community focused retirement village in Hervey Bay. Stage 1 of the village is due to be constructed in 2020 adjacent to the recently completed 154 bed aged care facility. View Project

Stage 1 of the retirement village includes 15 Independent Living Units and a Community Facility including function area, library, coffee shop, gym, pool and putting green.

The community building is the central hub of the new retirement village, providing wellbeing to the residents by supporting and encouraging social interaction for residents and their families.

The following 5 stages will include extension to the Community Facility to include Commercial Kitchen and restaurant, cinema and multi-functional spaces, 38 ILUs, and three multi-storey apartment buildings with a total of 80 one, two and three bedroom units.

Enrich Architecture’s history can be traced back to the private practice of founding father F. L. Cullen in 1936. Cullen had several commissions that year for the Catholic Church, including a two-storey boarding School at Murgon, a brick School at Yeronga, a Church at Buranda, School hall at Graceville and a Presbytery at Holland Park.

Early works by F. L. Cullen could be considered Romanesque Revival and Art Deco in style.

Cullen then developed an austere functionalist design style for some of his brick schools. The inter-war functionalist style, which spanned the period between the two world wars, had its background in European modernism, which embraced functionalism, technology and the elimination of applied historical ornamentation. Buildings of the time were radical and progressive, with their simple geometric shapes, light colours and large areas of glass.

Cullen was influenced by those architects who had travelled to Europe before him and came back to QLD to practice in the mid to late 1930s. Cullen saw these examples and used them as inspiration for his school building designs developed from 1941 – 1955.

Read more about Cullen’s inspiration in an abstract to Paul Dieleman “in press” paper: ‘Moderately Modern’: The Long Distance Reading of Modern Dutch Architecture by a Queensland Architect

Francis Leo Cullen

In 1937 F.L. Cullen formed a partnership with Desmond Egan having worked together at Hennessy, Hennessy & Co. The partnership received a large number of commissions from the Catholic Church as well as designing numerous hotels, residences and commercial buildings. Following the death of Egan in 1941 Cullen continued his practice as F.L. Cullen with new projects including several school buildings for the Catholic Church.

“To date historical reconstruction of output from Cullen’s various practices has identified a large body of work of over 350 buildings, mostly for the Catholic Church. Schools were the major building type that sustained Cullen’s practices, of which at least 128 were erected from 1936 to 1980. Churches were also important. Cullen’s work also encompassed 47 commercial and domestic architecture projects of various building typologies including banks, hotels, fire stations, private residences, flats, shops, hostels, small factories and workshops. Much of Cullen’s building activity was centered on the Brisbane metropolitan area, Queensland.”

Paul Dielemans
Image: Francis Leo Cullen “The TELEGRAPH” (1924, August 16. The Telegraph (Brisbane, Qld : 1872 1947)

Cullen-Egan_St Josephs Sci Blk Addtns 1938_DWG-2_sml_Hi-res

St Joseph’s College, Gregory Terrace

1938 – F.L. Cullen & Desmond Egan

Three story extension and addition of 2nd floor to the science block as well as new entry fence and gatehouse at St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace.

St-Joseph's-School,Chinchilla

St Joseph's School, Chinchilla

1938 – F.L. Cullen & Desmond Egan

St Joseph’s School was opened by Archbishop James Duhig on January 27th 1923. Three Sisters of St Joseph took charge of the 63 enrolments. By the end of the year the numbers had swelled to 103 students.
The school building was replaced by a new brick school designed by F.L. Cullen & Desmond Egan, which was opened in July 1938 by Monsignor McKenna.
The original proposal catered for a rendered cement exterior but the completed school building was finished in face brick.

Villa-Maria,-Fortitude-Valley

Villa Maria, Fortitude Valley

1940 – F.L. Cullen & Desmond Egan

In 1938, the Sisters of Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament commissioned F.L. Cullen & Desmond Egan to prepare the working drawings and supervise the construction of the second section of Villa Maria, the convent wing which included facilities for bread making, ironing and laundry work, continuing the original concept of the Hennessy, Hennessy, Keesing & Co scheme with the same architectural form, expression and detailing with some variation in the internal planning.

A lift tower was incorporated into the 1928 portion of the building adjacent to the main entrance on Warren Street at the junction of these two stages of the building. In the following year, the basement of the new convent building was converted into dormitories for country girls. 

Cullen-Ashgrove schl propsd elvtns SoC_DWG_sml_Hi-res

Mount St Michael's School, Ashgrove

1941 – F.L. Cullen

One of F.L. Cullen’s earliest projects, a new school building at Ashgrove for the Sisters of Charity.

Fancy Woodworks, Woolloongabba

1942 – F.L. Cullen

Preliminary sketch plan for a new factory premises at the cnr of Wellington Rd and Nile St Woolloongabba. Sadly, the building was never realised.

Star of the Sea School, Gladstone

1949 – F.L. Cullen

About 1943, the Brisbane architect Frank L. Cullen was commissioned to prepare plans for a school to accommodate 300 pupils.

Wartime building restrictions prevented the implementation of plans and not until 1947 was a building permit granted. By this time the plan had been modified to accommodate a further 100 children, necessary because of the strong growth in the Gladstone Meatworks at this period. The contract was let to Young and Sons of Bundaberg for a price of £18,922.

Archbishop James Duhig officially opened the new school on 20 April 1950. The three-storey brick building, which included a basement assembly hall, library, 16mm (0.63 in) projector for “visual education” and a public address system on all three levels, was considered one of the most modern school buildings in Queensland.

Image: The Morning Bulletin Rockhampton

In 1961, Frank L. Cullen’s practice changed its name to Frank L. Cullen & Partners, and in 1963 The practice changed names to include partners; Arthur Fagg, Cecil Hargraves and Keith Mooney to Frank L. Cullen Fagg Hargraves & Mooney.

Post war Queensland was a rich period in history, there was a strong international modernist feel to a lot of the architecture of the time; with an emphasis on clean lines, minimalist design, new construction materials and methods.

In this period, the practice designed approximately 20 Catholic churches constructed in Brisbane; some of the first church buildings with an altered layout, catering for the new liturgical considerations. Liturgical renewal was formalised by Vatican Council II which led to significant architectural changes including:

  • moving the altar forward
  • lowering the sanctuary
  • removing screens and altar rails
  • positioning the baptismal font within the main worship space and
  • fanning the Nave seating to gather the congregation around the sanctuary

Read more about Brisbane Church Architecture in the 1960s in a paper by Lisa Daunt

Tolentine-Building-Villanova-College

Tolentine Building Villanova College

1953, 1955 – Frank L Cullen and Partners

The Tolentine building, which was built in 1953 was the first and only of Cullen’s functionalist schools to feature a tall tower. A second floor was added to accommodate an assembly hall in 1955. It is considered one of Cullen’s greatest works of his functionalist styled schools.

Featuring concrete slabs, horizontal concrete fins with interstitial spaces infilled with glass windows and brick panels

Image: Paul Dielemans Photography

St Finbarr's Church, Ashgrove

1955 – Frank L Cullen

The present church, blessed and opened by Archbishop Duhig on 17th March, 1957, replaced the Church/School for which he had laid the foundation stone on 24th April, 1921. Built with a modern steel frame structure, the Church is an example of late Romanesque design in the modern mid-century.

NazarethHouse

Nazareth House, Wynnum North

1963 – Frank L Cullen and Partners

New dormitory block addition to the existing aged home and orphanage originally designed by Hennessy, Hennessy, Keesing & Co ~ 1925

St Joan of Arc Church, Herston

1963 – Frank L Cullen and Partners

In 1963 Archbishop Duhig blessed and opened the present Church.

OurLadyOfMountCarmel

Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Coorparoo

1964 – Cullen Fagg Hargraves and Mooney

Its simple traditional plan form with Sanctuary situated at one end of a long Nave, seats 468 people on the sides of a central aisle.

The steeply pitched roof with expressed structure and finely detailed elements of roof lights and windows give the building a definite ecclesiastical character.

The post Vatican II Church was designed for The Carmelite Fathers and was nominated for the Bronze Medal Award of 1965 for the Building of the Year by the Queensland Chapter of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects.

Builder: N.F. Corbett for £90 – £100,000

Our Lady of Dolours, Mitchelton

1965 – Cullen Fagg Hargraves and Mooney

The “Constitution of the Sacred Liturgy” issued by the Second Vatican Council in 1963 called for new expressions of Church design. This Church, at Suez St & Samford Road, Mitchelton for Parish Priest Rev. G Nugent is one of Brisbane’s first Catholic Churches to address mid-twentieth century liturgical change.

The seating for 520 people is grouped around a projecting Sanctuary and Altar enabling the Celebrant to face the people. The Church was awarded a commendation by the QLD Chapter of the RAIA in 1966.

Builder: R & B Constructions (QLD) Pty Ltd for £63,791
Image: Richard Edwin Stringer Architectural Photographer

StJosephsCollegeNudgee for HBJ Architects

St Joseph's College, Nudgee Senior School

1968 – Cullen Fagg Hargraves and Mooney

The Practice designed Classrooms, Science Rooms, Dormitories and Ablution Facilities and Covered Ways. The design was awarded Queensland Architectural Bronze Medal in 1969

Builder: N.F. Corbett Pty Ltd for $775,000

Image: Richard Edwin Stringer Architectural Photographer

St Marks Inala

1969 – Cullen Fagg Hargraves Mooney and Cullen

Parish Church seating 576 people at Lilac & Eucalypt St, Inala for Parish Priest Rev. GJ Lyons. The Sanctuary and adjacent side Chapel is situated at one end of a rectangular Nave with a central aisle. The simple asymmetrical external form and detailing provides a building of distinction while working within a limited budget – $77,254. Builder: N.F. Corbett Pty Ltd

The Architectural firm was awarded a Citation in 1970 for Meritorious Architecture by the QLD Chapter of the RAIA.

Image: Richard Edwin Stringer Architectural Photographer

The practice bought in new partner Cullen’s son Tony Cullen in 1970 and changed its name to Frank L. Cullen Fagg Hargraves Mooney & Cullen. Tony Cullen left the practice and was replaced by David Kenny in 1984, the Practice became Cullen, Fagg Hargraves Mooney & Kenny. Cullen retired in 1982, his name was retained for a while until the Practice became Hargraves Mooney Kenny.

Architecture of this period is best described as functional, when the Modern, Brutalist style architecture arrived. The international brutalist style was adapted for the Queensland climate with features including; cross ventilation and sun-shading i.e. deep-set windows which formed sun hoods.

St Pius Church Salisbury

St Pius Church, Salisbury

1971 – Cullen Fagg Hargraves Mooney and Cullen

Modern in both form and materiality, St Pius Church does not dominate the streetscape but blends thanks to its residential inspired palette of brown brick, painted weatherboard cladding and tiled roof.

The elongated plan form of the Church originated from developing on a Central but restrictive site on the Parish grounds at 69 Golda Ave, Salisbury for Parish Priest Rev. F. Costello. The seating for 514 people is provide on both sides of a central Sanctuary. The form of the building encourages community involvement in the celebration.

Builder: Nema Constructions Pty Ltd for $97,626

St Ita’s Church Dutton Park

St Ita's Church, Dutton Park

1974 – Cullen Fagg Hargraves Mooney Cullen

Small suburban Parish Church designed to a limited budget ($75,500) on a restrictive site at Gladstone Road, Dutton Park for Parish Priest Rev. B. O’Shea.

The Priest’s Sacristy is situated at the entry of the Church. Seating is provided for 255 people on the inclined Nave floor which is designed to enhance participation by people in Church activities.

Emmaus Aged Persons Home

Emmaus Aged Persons Home

1974 – Cullen Fagg Hargraves Mooney and Cullen

72 Beds Aged Person’s Home at Queens Rd, Nudgee for The Sisters of Mercy

Builder Nema Constructions Pty Ltd for $600,541

Westhaven Roma Hospital

Westhaven Roma Hospital

1979- Cullen Fagg Hargraves Mooney Cullen

40 Nursing Beds at McDowell St, Roma for The Roma Hospitals Board

Nazareth House

Nazareth House

1984 – Hargraves Mooney Cullen

In 1982 Nazareth House ceased its function as a care facility for children and a new Nursing Home was built at the rear of the main building, and the original building (designed by Hennessy, Hennessy, Keesing & Co ~ 1925) was renovated to provide 42 single room accommodation, with ensuite facilities, for hostel residents.

The new complex connected to the old building via covered passageways and provided accommodation for 35 additional residents.

PoliceHeadquartersDalby

Police Headquarters, Dalby

1986- Hargraves Mooney Cullen

Two storey regional headquarters of 980m2 located in a restricted site adjacent to courthouse at Drayton St Dalby, for the Dept. of Public Works for $1,300,000

This period also saw a recession, which meant that the majority of Hargraves Mooney Kenny’s work were smaller projects and extensions and renovations, many of which were for existing clients.

Sadly, Keith Mooney passed away in 1995 and David Kenny retired from the practice. In 1997, Fred Jacuzzi and Bradley Briggs joining Cecil Hargraves as partners in the new company Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi.

The 90’s saw the decline of the post-modernist era, the beginning of healthy and sustainable buildings and a shift towards architecture for community including affordable housing, childcare and aged care. During this period, most parts of Australia had a building boom which strained building supplies; many buildings from this era are characterised by cheap and low-quality materials.

Vale Cecil Hargraves LFRAIA

The following excerpt is from the induction of Cecil Hargraves as a Life Fellow of the Australian Institute of Architects.

Cecil Hargraves is a man of great character, integrity and humility. His strong faith, sense of values and his architectural abilities are of the highest order. Cecil is a leader with the capacity to inspire confidence and respect from his staff, students and colleagues. He is always tactful and respectful with critiques, but forthright and extremely knowledgeable. His outstanding moral compass, integrity, dedication to community and professionalism are truly his most notable qualities.  He has had a strong influence upon the live of the many architects who have worked with him over his long and distinguished career.

Cecil was employed at the architectural practice of Frank L Cullen and Partners in 1957 and accepted a partnership in 1960 when the practice became Frank L Cullen Hargraves & Mooney. He remained a partner until 1997 and after was a Director of Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi until his retirement in 2004. Cecil has been involved in the design of banks, hospitals and other government buildings however his true passion is for the architecture of the Church; he has imparted a strong and lasting design influence on many churches throughout Queensland. 
Cecil is a man of his community. A founding member of the Kenmore Lions Club in 1964 he remained and active member until 1990 and also taught in a voluntary capacity at Kenmore South State School. Cecil joined the Institute in 1955 and has been an active and supportive member through the awards program and the Institute committees.

Image and text: The Digital Archive of QLD Architecture

Affordable Housing Multiple Projects

1990-2003 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

In the 90’s the practice designed multiple Seniors Housing projects for Qld Housing (Project Services). Locations were often regional; Kingaroy, Ipswich, Toowoomba, Yandina, Southport, and also local, including Kippa Ring and Chelmer to name a few. Many of these projects incorporated Adaptable design features in accordance with the Adaptable Housing standards to allow for ageing and disability access. The Chelmer project incorporated purpose-built dwelling with a brief to meet the client’s specific needs.

Projects were generally designed to fit into the streetscape using materials and forms common to the locale.

Homeless Mens Hostel Townsville

Homeless Mens Hostel, Townsville

2002 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

Ozcare engaged the practice to design a facility on a “theoretical” site in order to assess the land space required to satisfactorily accommodate Ozcare’s clients that were then housed in a relatively crowded facility.

Subsequently as suitable land was not available, a vacant 2-storey backpacker’s hostel was purchased and refurbished with new additions to adequately meet their client’s needs.

Priests Retirement Home

2006 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

The 3-storey apartment building offers modern fully accessible two bedroom + study units with basement parking for retired Priests from the Brisbane Archdiocese.

The development includes a central lobby, private open space & balconies, communal recreational facilities small Chapel, as well as a communal outdoor area and basement car parking. View Project

Image: Leoni Bolt

Prior Street Childcare and Development

Prior Street Childcare and Development

2006 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

The practice designed and documented a 75 place Child Care Centre in Tarragindi. The facility is sited on land adjacent to bushland which formed part of a major overland stormwater flow path. The solution required intense investigation and innovative design to meet stringent Local Authority requirements including retention of several significant trees and vegetation.

Image: PSCCD

St Kevin's, Benowa - Multiple Projects

2008 – 2012 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi
  • Master Planning
  • New Uniform Shop
  • NSP Drive- through / Carpark Upgrade and Covered Area
  • Multi-purpose Hall and Pupil Amenities
  • Yr 7 GLA Block Refurbishment and Upgrade of External Activities/Leisure Court

In 2008 the practice was requested to prepare a master Plan of an area of the school occupied by four Yr 7 classrooms which required refurbishment, adjoining netball courts that were in poor condition, relocation of Uniform Shop, pedestrian circulation and way finding, and improving visual appeal of the entry points to the school. At the same time the brief identified the need for additional toilets, additions to the existing covered Lunch/Assembly area which was undersized given the school had increased to 4-streams and insufficient car parking for staff and visitors

During this period, Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi continued to reinforce strong relationships with a core client group, revisiting sites for major extensions and renovations, new site master plans and producing contemporary architecture featuring sustainable building practices, expression and technology.

In 2015 Bradley Briggs retired, and Tarah Jameson and Todd Young joined Fred Jacuzzi as directors of the practice. Following is a selection of projects from the period.

Educational

St Ita's Dutton Park - Multiple Projects

2005 – 2018 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi
  • GLA Block 2003 & 2005
  • Library, GLA (Prep) Block and PE Covered
  • Area/Canteen/Amenities – 2008-2010
  • Administration & MP GLA Block 2011
  • GLA refurbishment 2017

Several new building and refurbishment projects, both BER and BGA funded, in addition to the overall Campus Master Plan have been completed at St Ita’s Primary School including multi-level classrooms fronting Gladstone Road; new Prep classroom building and external play space; new Library, General Learning and Multi-Purpose Learning Areas and covered PE Area; new GLAs and Administration building and the most recent refurbishment of 1970s classrooms to reflect current flexible learning practices.

The Master Plan of the campus needed to consider pedestrian/vehicle conflict; improved children/staff circulation through the school; analysis of the usability of existing spaces in a very restricted site; stability of the existing embankment which was being eroded by stormwater discharge and the usability of the aging existing structures and services and allow continued uninterrupted operation of the school and safe access to Church; designed by Hargraves Mooney Kenny 1974.  View Project

Image: Scott Burrows Photographer

HolySpiritSeminaryEntry

Holy Spirit Seminary Banyo

2013 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi was selected by the Seminary for the Master Planning and Concept Design of the expansion of the existing Administration, Learning and Community facility. 

The stage 2 design included Administration and Learning areas extension, a multi-purpose and flexible conference / function centre, catering facilities and support areas as well as additional car parking spaces. The new buildings were carefully designed to integrate with the existing facility and levels. View Project

ozcare-regional-office-robina_18

Ozcare Regional Offices, Northlakes, Ipswich, Robina and Chermside

2008 – 2013 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

Ozcare engaged the practice to design and document a number of regional offices to support the Ozcare staff and carers who provide service to the community.

The buildings are designed to accommodate permanent staff and flexible collaborative work areas, hot-desking arrangements and multi-functional meeting spaces for the community carers. View Project

StJoachimspic

St Joachim's Holland Park - Multiple Projects

2009 – 2018 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi
  • GLAs (Prep) and OSHC facility – 2009
  • Administration/ GLA Block & Library – 2016

The current school facility is in the same precinct as the original church-school by Cullen and Egan that opened in November 1936.

The Administration Building project entailed new Administration building accessible from Yuletide Street (as per the former building) with three MP GLA’s on lower level forming the “Arts” Centre. Use of multi stacking doors enable some spaces to open up to Courts and Terraces allowing greater flexibility of spaces for learning activities. Existing entry to the school was enhanced. Materials/forms of the new block were selected on the basis of consistency with previous recent projects on the site by other Architects.

Education

St Clare's Primary School

2016 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi were selected for the new Catholic Primary School in Yarrabilba. Stage 1 and 2 have been completed and stage 3 is due for construction 2021. The essence of the planning of St Clare’s is the centre “community” gathering / Sacred Space representing the campus heart around which are located the smaller Learning Clusters.

The flexible nature of the learning clusters supports the personalised, active, and interactive learning program expected of BCE which is enabled through learning environments that enhance teachers’ pedagogical capacity. View Project

Image: Scott Burrows Photographer

OzcareClontarfPic

Ozcare Aged Care Facility, Clontarf

2017 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

The 3-storey extension is the first stage in an overall facility upgrade and has been designed so that the majority of private resident bedrooms as well as communal areas take advantage of views to the adjacent park and wildlife zone.

Part of the existing single storey facility was demolished to make way for the new extension; 7 resident rooms with shared bathrooms have been replaced with 36 beds with ensuites.

The extension includes new dining and lounge areas, nurse stations and service areas to each level which give the feeling of smaller “family” sized groups. The new lift provides access to existing staff facilities, previously only accessed by stairs, and a direct bridge link to the staff training facility. The builders are to be commended on the difficult construction of the first stage which adjoins the existing single storey main entry and resident building which was required to remain operational.

The new building has been designed so that it can be extended in future stages. The modern colour palette has been selected to be sympathetic to the existing facility and also to the adjacent park. Whilst the internal colour and furniture selections provide a homelike ambiance.

Stage 1 also included an extension to day respite facility providing a large space for community activity as well as an internal courtyard, bbq and games area and putting green.

Spiritual

Our Lady of Lourdes

2017 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

Our company is privileged to have provided Architectural Services for Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Sunnybank on three separate occasions. The original timber Church, designed by Cullen and Egan in 1938 was replaced by a brick Church designed by Frank L Cullen & Partners in 1963. Our company was honoured to have been selected once again by the Church as the Architects for the major renovation which was completed in 2017

The new Church features simple and durable materials, a restrained colour palette and elements of the 1963 brick Church Building; exposed structure, sandstone sanctuary wall, refurbished sandstone baptismal font, restored stained glass windows and original timber pews. The completed project features exposed masonry walls, glass, stone tile flooring and a simple, elegant use of timber. The interior is classic and noble, simplistic but not understated. View Project

Image: Scott Burrows Photographer

ReflectionsOzcare_2Pic

Reflections on the Bay by Ozcare

2019 – Hargraves Briggs Jacuzzi

The practice has completed the design and documentation for the community focused retirement village in Hervey Bay. Stage 1 of the village is due to be constructed in 2020 adjacent to the recently completed 154 bed aged care facility. View Project

Stage 1 of the retirement village includes 15 Independent Living Units and a Community Facility including function area, library, coffee shop, gym, pool and putting green.

The community building is the central hub of the new retirement village, providing wellbeing to the residents by supporting and encouraging social interaction for residents and their families.

The following 5 stages will include extension to the Community Facility to include Commercial Kitchen and restaurant, cinema and multi-functional spaces, 38 ILUs, and three multi-storey apartment buildings with a total of 80 one, two and three bedroom units.