Enrich Architecture’s history can be traced back to the private practice of founding father F. L. Cullen in 1936.
Cullen had several commissions that year for the Catholic Church, including a two-storey boarding School at Murgon, a brick School at Yeronga, a Church at Buranda, School hall at Graceville and a Presbytery at Holland Park.
The Inter-war period Architecture was very forward thinking for its time and indeed to this day, remains quite striking. Classical, Art Deco and Classical style features included:
• Hipped roofs and the use of terracotta tiles
• Brick or weatherboard walls to create solid appearance
• Symmetric and imposing designs or rounded edges
Francis Leo Cullen
In 1937 F.L. Cullen formed a partnership with Desmond Egan having worked together at Hennessy, Hennessy, Keesing & Co. The partnership received a large number of commissions from the Catholic Church as well as designing numerous hotels, residences and commercial buildings. Following the death of Egan in 1941 Cullen continued his practice as F.L. Cullen with new projects including several school buildings for the Catholic Church
Mount St Michael's School, Ashgrove
1936 – F.L. Cullen
One of F.L. Cullen’s earliest projects, a new school building at Ashgrove for the Sisters of Charity